Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November 11: Because We were Prepared We were Okay

I am sure you will be happy to get this email. because it means I am alive.


Please pray for my companion, Sister Bendoy! My companion is from Leyte and she hasn't heard from her family. Pray for them. We are worried about them. (BBC NewsOfficials say up to 10,000 people may have died on Leyte island, which bore the brunt of the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.)

Guess what... we had no idea how bad the storm was supposed to be. All we knew was there was a storm, we needed to prepare food and water and we couldn't leave our house. 

So we partied. Just kidding. we studied scriptures, had deep talks, planned goals for my mission, and did practice teaching. And we cooked in the dark. 
We didn't have power Friday Saturday and half of Sunday. so we didn't have water either. We had saved some water so we showered once... good times. It felt like i was going to church at the ranch... smelly and dirty. but it's ok. 

So one night while we were home I started reading the Book of Mormon in Hiligaynon. By Candlelight. Guess what... I can understand it now!!!!!!! Miracles do happen. Really, as  I was reading I felt like it was a miracle. Words I didn't know my companion told me.. and i was able to learn them really fast. it was such a great experience. I am now in 1 Nephi 5... so amat amat. But my goal for my mission is to read the entire Libro Ni Mormon. I am super excited about it.
I also started telling stories to her in Hiligaynon. My language is getting way better. It's so exciting. I still don't understand everything everyone says and it's so discouraging. I just want to know what they are saying!!!!! Especially if they are telling at story instead of bearing their testimony... I get pretty lost. But I'm improving. 

Oh and we watched the storm out the windows upstairs. It was pretty crazy. super windy and lots of rain. I took a few pictures and videos but they aren't very good. You can't really tell. Our street was getting flooded. As in almost to our door. As in we have a gap under the door and the water would just pour in. sooo as we were about to go down and move all of our stuff upstairs a man came out. without a shirt on or shoes...so nothing new. and cleared out the drains for like 10 minutes... and it went down. and our house didn't flood. We were all very grateful for him. And because we were prepared by President's warning we were okay. We had enough food and water and candles. We feel so blessed. During the storm I read Ether 12 about the trial of your faith. And this was like that. We had to have faith and prepare beforehand. 

It took faith to trust President though.. The day before the storm was the sunniest day ever. No clouds. Perfect weather. And that's when we were preparing our food and water. I kinda felt like Noah's time..  We didn't have the news like you did. Just one text message from our President telling us to prepare. 


The storm hit all day Friday. then Saturday we went and did service. We  cleaned up the houses of our recent converts. It was great. This was one of the weirdest days of my life. We went to Madel's house and they had pretty much cleaned up. We helped a little and started helping cook... They wanted to make us lunch I guess. Anyway then brother Mansueto says he is going to kill the chicken and he'll be back.. uuuh what? So then we went to clean at Lyn Lyn's house. We cleaned up a huge area covered in leaves and sticks and stuff. It was really good and she was sooo grateful. And her little kids helped too. so fun. then we were covered in dirt and ran home to take a bucket shower. 10 minutes later we ran to Madel's for our fresh chicken lunch and her baptism was right after.. But she wasn't there yet. so we waited at her house and all went to the baptism. 

P.S. the baptism was at 2 on Saturday. and first our ward mission leader texts us this "Sisters, I think we need to cancel the baptism. We don't have power at the church. And all of my shoes are wet." So life is still hilarious. I laughed for a long time. 
And the church didn't have power or water all day.. except randomly for an hour at like 10 when we went. And they were able to fill up the font. miracles. Anyway so then we went to the baptism and it was so good. She is sooo great. I love her so much. And all the testimonies at every baptism they talk about how they want their family to have the gospel too. It's really cool. We are now teaching some of the family members of our recent converts. It's awesome.


Anyway, then we went and did more service for different areas. Then came home and we had no power still. And now no washing water. And the faucet fell off the wall in the bathroom. And the window broke. And i cooked french toast for dinner in the dark. It was just a weird day all over. But Elder and Sister Anderson, the supply couple, came and saved the day. They brought water and fixed the faucet. 

Then the next day we had church. And because of the brown out I was worried that no one would come to church. But there was like more than ever. It was Fast Sunday and so good. We loved it. I felt the strength of the gospel so much!! Our recent converts still came, all dressed up in clean clothes. It was so great. I love them all sooo much. There was so much peace at church. Oh and one of the members went out in the storm to one of the poor areas in our ward because she felt prompted to. She said she couldn't see the road there was so much rain but she went anyway in her little jeep an was able to bring 3 families to the church (where many people stayed during the storm). Their houses had been hurt and they really needed help. It was a miracle. and so cool that she went even though it was hard because she was prompted to. 

I was reading 1 Nephi 3-4 yesterday and it really hit me. Nephi wasn't successful. He was trying to keep the commandments, and he had huge trials. But he didn't lose his faith. He kept trying. We need to follow that example. Keeping the commandments or doing God's will isn't always easy or successful immediately. We have to trust God. 

Love Sister Foote

1 comment:

  1. "The day before the storm was the sunniest day ever. No clouds. Perfect weather. And that's when we were preparing our food and water. I kinda felt like Noah's time.. We didn't have the news like you did. Just one text message from our President telling us to prepare." That has got to be one of the most powerful lessons...thank you...I just stumbled on your blog after searching for missionaries in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete